Javon, speaks the truth, and we should be listening …
So it’s okay when it’s a white person, even when they know that the bike doesn’t belong to him…
24 years ago, my mom, Ann Richards, ran for governor because she wanted to open up the doors of government and let the people in. Last summer, thousands of Texans took her up on that offer.
1. Wendy Davis gave a voice to…
The Gigantic Peanut In The Sky
This is an artist’s representation of the largest yellow star ever found. It is more than 1,300 times larger than the Sun and it is rapidly getting even larger. According to the study leader, Olivier Chesneau:
The two stars are so close that they touch and the whole system resembles a gigantic peanut.
The double star’s boring official name is HR 5171, but I propose we call it The Great Sky Peanut. Even though it is 12,000 light-years from earth, a keen sighted person could see it on a dark night, twinkling in the constellation Centaurus.
Image credit: ESO/Digitized Sky Survey 2
DailyPBO: The President & The Standing Rock Sioux Reservation - June 2014The crowd to President Obama: “We love you President Obama! You’re our hero!”President Obama: “I love you back!”Obama became only the fourth sitting president to visit an Indian reservation. Attending with the First Lady, it was a truly inspiring event at the Cannon Ball Pow Wow Grounds in Cannon Ball, North Dakota. The Native American community was bursting with pride over the president’s visit and when he spoke Lakota during his speech, they were completely moved. It was a wonderful day for a community that never (and I mean NEVER) gets the respect they deserve. Bravo, Mr. President.For more reactions, check the Twitter hashtag: #PrezRezVisit
UPDATE TO POST: Since most folks apparently don’t read the news, here’s an article from the Washington Post with some pull out quotes on the Obama administration’s legacy with the Native American community.
- ”Many tribal leaders say Obama has done more in six years for Native Americans than all of his predecessors combined. The Administraion has given land backto tribes and worked one-on-one with tribal governments, and it is cracking down on crime in Indian Country.
- “The best thing that’s happened to Indian Country has been President Obama being elected,” said Dave Archambault II, chairman of Standing Rock.
- “It’s kind of a poor town. There’s no money,” said resident Paul Red-Dogg… Despite such realities, Archambault said he remains optimistic, in part because of Obama’s outreach to Native Americans.”
- Obama has hosted annual conferences for tribal leaders in Washington, where native officials discussed issues facing their communities with White House and administration staffers. Obama’s senior policy adviser for Native American Affairs, Jodi Gillette, grew up on Standing Rock.
- “The fact that tribal leaders can annually go sit down with the president, this is something that has rarely ever occurred,” said Eddie Brown, a professor and director of American Indian Studies at Arizona State University.
- “The administration agreed to pay $3.4 billion to settle a decades-long class-action lawsuit against the government for mismanaging native land-trust royalties.” Due to scabbling over who is deemed ineligible, the agreement is being appealed.
- The government also established a land buy-back program, which pays owners who voluntarily sold their land.
- Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. … creating a task force that has been conducting hearings across the country since December. The group is examining disparities in criminal sentencing for Native Americans.
The “War on Drugs” A failed policy that in the past 5 decades has cost 1Trillion Dollars, and has produced more “for profit prisons” and long sentences to keep them profitable… It’s produced torn families and neighborhoods and drugs are still flowing like a river into the country…. #justsaynototheronDugs
"War on Drug" … A Failed policy that has done more harm than good, and has only served to give the United States the distinction of running the largest Prison Industrial Complex in the world… #justSayNoToTheWarOnDrugs
DailyPBO: The President & The National Action Network
In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act, the National Action Network held a summit today in New York and President Obama gave a barn-burner of a speech this afternoon. The Obamas will spend the night in New York and attend “Raisin In The Sun” on Broadway starring Denzel Washington.
If ever there was a selfie that we need… it’s Denzel & Obama. Make it happen, FLOTUS.